Prime Number seeks to publish distinctive work, regardless of theme, form, or style. Contributors will include both emerging and established writers. Quarterly online issues will feature fiction, non-fiction, poetry, book-reviews, interviews, and essays on craft.
Between issues we will, from time to time, post Prime Decimals, consisting of flash fiction, flash non-fiction, and shorter poems. The annual print issue will include the editors’ selections from work that has appeared in the quarterly issues and Prime Decimals.
- We will only accept submissions uploaded through the links below. Please do not send submissions as attachments to emails.
- Only original work will be considered.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but please inform us immediately if the work is accepted elsewhere.
- Please limit your submissions to three in a year.
- We will use our best efforts to respond to submissions within two months, but occasionally it will take a little longer.
Contributors will receive no cash compensation. Contributors whose work is included in the print annual will also receive one copy of the annual, along with the opportunity to purchase additional copies at a discount. (Proceeds from the print annual will be used to defray the cost of the magazine.) Contributors will grant, via a simple agreement, electronic serial rights, including perpetual archiving, plus first North American serial rights (for the print annual).
HOW TO SUBMIT:
Fiction: We are currently closed to submissions of fiction, including both short stories and flash.
Nonfiction: We will consider nonfiction (personal essays, memoir, creative nonfiction, etc.) of no more than 5,000 words (4,000 words for craft essays), on any subject, in any style. Submit only one nonfiction submission at a time, or up to three short essays (no more than 1,000 words each).
Book reviews and interviews: We are currently closed to submissions of book reviews and interviews.
Poetry: We are currently closed to regular submissions of poetry.
Cover Art: Each issue of the magazine will include one or more photographs or other pieces of art representing the number of that issue. Look at past issues for examples.